Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Making Your Own Pet Food

I have too many links in my bookmarks bar, so in an effort to clear them out, I'm going to share with you links to research I've done on how to make your own pet food. Homemade pet food may seem like a hassle, but it's really not much trouble to make a little something for your beloved companion while you're making a healthy, delicious meal for yourself. Zero waste aside, the health benefits for your animal are amazing, and to my experience they'll love you all the more for the yummy food they're getting.

Also, expect this link list to change from time to time as I discover more tutorials, instructions, and research on how to feed your pets a healthy, zero waste diet at home.

Cat Food:

My Plastic Free Life has a blog post about how she makes food for her cats here. There is plastic packaging from a supplement involved, but it makes much less waste than buying bagged and canned food would.

Dog Food:

Recipes 4 Gourmet Dogs (I hate it when people write the number instead of the word it sounds like, but this is the name of the site, and journalistic integrity demands that I report it to you accurately, even if I got frustrated just typing it) has all kinds of great recipes that my dogs have loved, but I particularly enjoy them for their feeding chart for dogs by weight, found here. Feeding your pet at home is great, but not all of us have the time or resources to schedule sit-down time with our vet to quiz them on dietary requirements specific to our pet. This chart helps take a little guesswork out of the process.

No comments:

Post a Comment